The National Executive Committee of the Musicians Union of Ghana (MUSIGA) has appointed a five-member committee to supervise the pending national elections of the Union scheduled for June 26 this year.
The committee is chaired by highlife musician Smart Nkansah with former MUSIGA President Diana Hopeson as secretary with Rev Dr. Mary Ghansah, Lawyer Jonathan Cudjoe of GHAMRO and neo-soul artiste Trigmatic.
Among other duties, the committee will supervise the filing and nomination process and handle the vetting of the candidates. They will work closely with the Electoral Commission to ensure a free and fair election.
A road map released by MUSIGA has the following highlights:
- Call for nominations March 27
- Close of nominations April 17
- Vetting of candidates April 26
- Exhibition of voters register April 29
- Voting in all regional capitals June 26
- Announcement of results June 26
- Inauguration of new executives August 27
The elections are to be held in all regional capitals in line with the amended MUSIGA constitution which stipulates that all paid up card bearing members are eligible to vote.
The Union has also announced the filing fees for the various positions being contested. These are:
- President GHC 2,500.00
- Vice Presidents GHC 2,000.00
- General Secretary GHC 1,500.00
- Others GHC 1,000.00
The forms can be collected at the Union office at a cost of GHC 200.00.