Hiplife artiste, Wisa Greid has said he believes he deserves to be nominated as well as win the New Artiste of the Year Award at this year’s Vodafone Ghana Music Award (VGMA).
In an interview with Showbiz on Monday, the Ekiiki Me hitmaker said, inspite of the fact that he was facing prosecution at an Accra Circuit Court on the charge of gross indecent exposure, for allegedly exposing his genitals at the Decemba2Rememba concert at Accra International Conference Centre (AICC) last year, he still stands a good chance of winning the award.
“My legal issue has no connection with the upcoming VGMA or anything of that sort, so let’s just wait and see what happens.
“It will be very cool if I am nominated. I know I deserve the award,” he said.
He confirmed that he is working on a collaboration with gospel artiste, SP Kofi Sarpong, but denied that he was doing that in order to win over fans because of the incident that occurred at the AICC.
“I initiated the collaboration deal with SP Kofi Sarpong when I met him recently and I told him I really liked his songs.
“I also told him I would want us to work together that is if he was willing and he agreed.
“I thought he was joking at first but I now see he is serious, so we have already began working on it,” he said.
Wisa, real name Eugene Ashie who was in court on Monday to defend himself against the charge of gross indecent exposure, was however without his legal representative, Lawyer Jerry Agbenovor.
This notwithstanding, the prosecution proceeded to call on the first prosecution witness, Detective Chief Inspector Edward Adjei Odame to give evidence in the case.
Chief Inspector Odame told the court, that he was on duty at the Regional Headquarters of the Criminal Investigations Department when his attention was drawn to a copy of video in which the accused, Wisa Greid allegedly exposed his genitals while performing live at the Decemba2Rememba concert at the AICC.
He added that the police contacted the managers of Wisa Greid, to present him to the police station to assist with investigations.
According to Chief Inspector Odame, Wisa Gried duly confirmed in his statement that he was the person in the video after it was shown to him.
The court presided over by Her Lordship, Mrs Abena Oppong Adjin Doku, however had to adjourn the case to Friday, February 5, after the prosecution failed to present a copy of the video to the court.
She reminded the prosecution to come along with a device in which the video would be played to the court on February 5.
Wisa Greid has already pleaded not guilty to a charge of gross indecent exposure at his first appearance in court on December 30, 2015, and was granted bail in the sum of GH¢8,000 with one surety to be justified.