MultiChoice Africa would like to inform the general public and all television broadcasters that ONLY SuperSport International has rights to air the ‘Fight of the Century’ bout taking place this weekend between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in Sub-Saharan Africa.
From this Saturday, 2nd of May, DStv will air the super-fight on SS6 and SS6 HD to enable all DStv Premium viewers to watch the action in High Definition. The build-up to the live event will begin at 8pm and headed by former boxer, Brian Mitchell, with a professional record of 45-1-3 and a panel that includes Phillip Ndou, who fought Mayweather in 2003, and legendary referee Stan Christodoulou. Viewers will also be treated to breaking news, extensive behind-the-scenes coverage, documentaries, one-on-ones with Mayweather and Pacquiao, plus past fight highlights involving the pair.
The rights also include live streaming, which is available to Premium subscribers on the SuperSport app. The build-up will culminate in The Fight of the Century which will air from the early hours of Sunday on May 3rd.
No other television station/event organiser or entity shall screen this boxing match on any other programme or channel in a public place or free-to-air, live or repeated, without the authorisation of MultiChoice since this will be in violation of the directives governing the distribution of programmes and television channels. It furthermore interferes with and infringes upon the programme and channel distribution rights and arrangements of third parties.
SuperSport’s knock-out build-up programming to ‘The Fight of the Century’ includes:
- Studio analysis headed by former boxer, Brian Mitchell and a panel that includes Phillip Ndou and legendary referee Stan Christodoulou on SS6 from 10pm CAT on Saturday.
- Updates on the biggest fight in boxing history plus “Big Fight Special” on SuperSport Blitz at 7am, 1pm and 7pm CAT daily.
- Wall-to-wall big-fight programming on Friday, 1st May on SS6 from 6am to 5.30pm CAT.
- SS6 will cross live to the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas at midnight on Friday for the pre-fight weigh-in.
- After the weigh-in, Pacquiao’s six-knockdown defeat of Chris Algieri will be broadcast on SS6 to remind fans of his power and excitement.
- SS6 will cross to Las Vegas for the tournament at 3am CAT on Sunday morning. The undercard features WBC super-bantamweight champion Leo Santa Cruz against Jose Cayetano, plus WBO featherweight champion Vasyl Lomachenko against Gamalier Rodriguez.
- In the unfathomable possibility of missing the live fight action, DStv subscribers can catch the repeat the fight on SS6 at 7am CAT on Sunday and again on SS5 from 9pm CAT. Repeats will continue throughout the week.
- The bulk of the programming will also be available on the Video on Demand service.
PLEASE NOTE: SuperSport advises fight fans to set their alarm clocks for 4:30am CAT as the big Las Vegas bouts typically start at any time between 5:15am and 6am CAT.
For more information about this much-anticipated #MayPac bout, please visit www.dstv.com.