Following the release of her latest compilation ‘House Of Cuppy II’, Florence Ifeoluwa Otedola aka DJ Cuppy is set to kick off an 8 city continent wide tour across Africa.
Titled ‘Cuppy Takes Africa’, the ambitious tour which kicks off August in Nigeria will run through 8 countries with a final stop in South Africa.
“Exploring Africa and its vast culture has always been a dream of mine,” she explained at a press conference in Lagos on July 8th. “I am so excited to discover the music, the people and soak in experiences from this tour!” she added.
The celebrated DJ who has under her belt, a slew of high profile jobs including the 2014 Financial Times Summit and MTV Africa Music Awards, is passionate about the education of Africa’s future leaders, and will support girl’s schools and NGO’s in every country she visits through the tour in partnership with the Dangote Foundation.
The ‘Cuppy Takes Africa’ Tour will include performances, major artiste collaborations, press ops, and charitable engagements is proudly sponsored by GTBank.
The tour which begins in Nigeria will continue to Senegal, Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, and South Africa.
DJ, Producer and Songwriter
Born in 1992 and formerly known as DJ Cupcake, Cuppy began by playing the Piano after which she ventured into beat making and thereafter DJing. At 17, she had already become a household name playing at some of London’s top nightclubs and events such as DSTRKT, Jalouse and at various London Fashion Week fixtures. She’s also played at well-known venues in Paris and Dubai.
As a DJ, Cuppy plays House music predominantly but began experimenting with music from her native hometown in Lagos, Nigeria and noticed that it was gradually becoming widely accepted in mainstream Europe. This fueled her curiosity and she sought to create a universal sound that would appeal to people the World over without losing touch of her cultural heritage. She calls this new sound Neo-Afrobeats, a genre of music, which blends Electric House with Afro-beats.
Cuppy was announced Tourism Ambassador for Nigeria in FCT, Abuja. Nigeria’s Honorable Minister for Culture and Tourism, Edem Duke made the announcement on the 17th of April 2014 as they presented her with the title. She is currently the brand advocate fuelling the ‘Fascinating Nigeria’ campaign, which is a dynamic imprint, aimed at promoting the development of Tourism.
Cuppy has been privileged to DJ for an elite set of crowd; she entertained global diplomats and international representatives with her turntable skills at the Financial Times Luxury Summit 2014, which was held in Mexico City. She was also the DJ at the Tatler UK Magazine x Christie Inc Art Ball, which was held in London on the 12th of June 2014.
In July 2014, Cuppy released her major project for the year, which she worked on for months – House Of Cuppy. House Of Cuppy is a house remix compilation of Cuppy’s 5 favorite Nigerian songs for the year, all tracks produced by her. House Of Cuppy was launched successfully in London, Lagos and New York.
The announcement for Cuppy being a resident DJ at the MTV Africa Music Awards, which was held in Durban, South Africa, was a proud moment for Cuppy fans around the world.
Currently residing in New York, Cuppy interns at the Roc Nation headquarters in where she is getting first hand experience of the global music industry.
Cuppy is a young entrepreneur, and is definitely one to look out for.
- House Of Cuppy Volume 1 – 2014
- Forever Summer – July 2013
- Cuppy Love – February 2014
- CupsGiving – November 2014
- I Love My Country feat Tunji Oyelano – 2013
- I Love My Country – 2013
- DJ Cuppy – I Love My Country
- DammyKrane – Lobatan
- DJ Cuppy – House Of Cuppy Volume 1
- Afrikan Boy – Y.A.M
- Tyson feat Reminisce – Mercy
NOMINATIONS AND AWARDS
- Best World DJ, NEA 2014 – Nomination
- Nest Rated (Music) Female Scream Awards 2014 – Nomination
- Best Female DJ, Eloy Awards 2014 – Nomination
- Up and Down Night Club, New York, US – April 2015
- Diane Von Fustenberg Awards, New York, US – April 2015
- Africa’s Out, New York , US – April 2015
- Official DJ for Oil Barons Charity Ball Dubai, UAE – March 2015
- Official DJ for Airtel & Trace Music Star Grand Finale, Nairobi, Kenya – March 2015
- Ali Baba New Year Concert, Lagos, Nigeria – January 2015
- Boxing Day All White Party, Lagos, Nigeria – December 2014
- Lagos Motor Boat Club New Years Eve Party, Lagos, Nigeria – December 2014
- Music Meets Runway Event (Official DJ), Lagos, Nigeria – December 2014
- Globacom End of the Year Party, Lagos, Nigeria – December 2014
- Coco Lounge Ciroc Party (Guest DJ), Accra, Ghana – December 2014
- The Cove Club (Guest DJ), Atlantis, Bahamas – August 2014
- Tatler Magazine Bystander Ball (Official DJ), London, UK – July 2014
- Christies Inc x Tatler Art Ball (Official DJ), London, UK – June 2014
- MTV Africa Music Awards (Resident DJ), Durban, South Africa – June 2014
- Financial Times Luxury Summit, (Resident DJ), Mexico City, Mexico – May 2014
- Patrick Hellmann Fashion Show (Official DJ), London, UK – January 2014
- Debut Single – Cuppy Ft Tunji Oyelana – I Love My Country www.youtu.be/cacP-6gwz0A
- Youtube Channel www.youtube.com/user/cuppymusic/